The reason for this post, is a sort of typed personal arse kick. You see I am the first person to get another bowl of cereal or grabanother sandwich when at a meeting buffet. However since quitting wheat (all of 3 days a go – evidently no right to preach), I have been reading more about the human ability to just keep on eating.
Apparently there is a 7 minute delay between the stomach and the brain. Did not know that. Therefore if one could distract ones self after a seemingly small meal one might then feel full.Some nutritionalists believe that distraction is actually the cause and not the cure. There is a theory that if you read, blog, surf the web or watch TV while eating, this 7 minute delay is almost negated. Your body just carries on eating until the stomach can literally take no more. Completely full. Where all your body actually needs is a fraction of the amount you just rammed into your body.
There are loads of books out there documenting this.
So for the next 7 days I am going to put a little experiment on top of my January goals / experiment. From what I have read these are the 7 rules that are going to apply to everything I put in my mouth.
1. Mastication – I must fully chew every mouthful. To start with I am going to go with 20 chews. This sounds a lot and I am going to look very funny when out with my buddies. I like to add a bit humour to the evening. Seriously though it slows you down and increases the surface area of your food, making it easier to digest and meaning you get all the nutrients.
2. Put sandwich down – OK so in Jan I am not eating wheat, but my point is that, I am going to put my food down every time I have a mouthful. This includes cultery. The food is not going to run away, I do not need to pre load my fork with the next massive load, or hold the sandwich/bagel/apple/snack near my mouth or even in my hand. Put the food DOWN between every mouthful. The upside for Mrs. FatCycles is that I am not going to be inhaling my food off the plate.
3. Concentrate on every mouthful – no more TV dinners – OK well only for a week. But if it works maybe longer. Basically concentration on what I am eating. No books, no iPad – nothing. The food is my enjoyment, I will concentrate on that is my entertainment.
4. No standing room – I must sit down while eating anything. Main meals must be at a table and not my desk.
5. Am I full – by doing all of the above, I should theoretically slowed down my eating enough to know when I am full. I have to listen to my body. And when I am full STOP EATING.
6. Drink before every meal – most of the time one feels hungry, apparently it is just thirst. The body confuses thirst with hunger. So I am going to have a pint of water before allow anything to go in my mouth.
7. Am I really hungry – Last rule of the experiment. If I feel truly hungry – not bored or thirsty – then I can eat. Theoretically if 6 has not worked I must be hungry.
OK time to get into some lycra and get wet on the bike. Pictures to follow later.